Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 18. 

Not a whole lot new to share.  I had another PT appointment on Wednesday.  The only thing of note is that they tried to see how far back my knee would go into flexion without much effort despite the 90 degree flexion restriction I currently have due to the meniscus repair.  Turns out that I can get to at least 105 without feeling any resistance.  I wonder if I couldn't go back any further, but my PT was being conservative.  

Getting a little restless and bored right now, but I am sure I will miss being able to concentrate on my recovery as much as I am once I go back to work in a week or so.  

It's funny.  I was on crutches for surgery over 10 years ago. I forgot how it's not really stairs that are the big problem; it is just getting and moving things.  Using my backpack has helped, but I hate being so reliant on getting help with getting food or coffee.  It is difficult if not impossible to brew coffee or make a sandwich and then try to take it to the table.  Often I try to lean on my crutches at the kitchen counter and eat and drink fast.  Still, I am sure this will be over before I know it and I really have little to complain about the whole process so far given my fears esp. going into this.  I am really happy with my surgeon especially at the moment.  

One thing I really wouldn't mind is a beer one of these nights.  I am not much of a drinker, but I miss kicking back and having a beer in the evening.  I have been afraid that alcohol might hamper my recovery or be dangerous, esp. when I was heavily on narcotics.  I also didn't want to drink the week before surgery, so it has been a while now.  

I may post a little less than I have been doing, especially once I start back work again.  Still, to the extent my surgery remains a positive experience I hope to continue to post from time to time to help patients coming after me from getting as scared as I was about this whole process. 

Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment